At Wilkes University
October 10-12, 2019
Theme: Mailer on Politics, Public Life, and Pop Culture
The Norman Mailer Society calls for papers that address any of the above categories plus those that help celebrate the 40-year anniversary of The Executioner’s Song, the 50-year anniversary of Of a Fire on the Moon, and the 60-year anniversary of Advertisements of Myself.
- Keynote speaker Maggie Mailer, youngest daughter of Norman Mailer
- A reception to celebrate the opening of the Norman Mailer Room and Collection. This room, housed in the Farley Library, is a research/Mailer scholar’s dream. It is a replica of Mailer’s last studio in Provincetown that includes his private library, manuscripts and revisions, dating from 1984, and his studio furniture
- A reading from The Time of Our Time
- Screening of the film The Executioner’s Song
To submit a proposal for the conference, please e-mail the following to Maggie McKinley at mmckinle [at] harpercollege [dot] edu and Mike Lennon at jmlennon1 [at] charter [dot] net by June 1, 2019:
- 50-word biographical statement
- 150-200 word abstract of the proposed presentation
- Indication of A/V Requirements
Hotel accommodations will be at Genetti’s Best Western, Public Square, Wilkes-Barre, PA at $89 per night (from October 9 through October 13). The hotel offers free shuttle from the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton airport, hot buffet breakfast, parking, and is a two-block walk to campus.
More details regarding hotel reservations and conference registration are forthcoming.